Checking In on My 2019 To-Do List

Remember that list of goals I created at the beginning of the year? It's been awhile since I updated you on my progress. I easily completed two of the goals pretty shortly after I posted my list, but the other goals have not come as easily. Not gonna lie. I just haven't been motivated. I know what I need to do, but when I have free time to do it, I choose to do something else. Something more enjoyable.

Still, I did manage to cross another goal off my list. I finally tackled the disorganized container cabinet.



I used the techniques from the book Decluttering at the Speed of Life, one of the greatest books I've ever read. Any container without a lid or any lid without a matching container gets tossed. (Yes, even one of my beloved Pyrex glass containers. No lid, no service.)

As for everything else, if it has a lid, the lid goes ON the container. Who am I fooling trying to stack lids in one section and containers in another? I know that manufacturers make stackable lids and such, and they tell us in the commercials that it makes storing things so much easier. Not in my case. Instead, having a separate stack of containers only makes it harder to find and take out what I need. But if everything is TOGETHER, there's no guessing or rummaging around.



Is my container cabinet perfect? No. I could still probably stand to throw out some of the containers that are in there. I just haven't moved to that step. (What should I do with the FoodSaver containers that never really closed properly? I know I was so excited about the FoodSaver in the beginning, but it's been months since I used it.)

Are my stacks of lid + containers ideal? Not really. But at least I can see everything that I have at pretty much just one glance. And I'll take that! (What I really want is a better cabinet system, but I'll have to wait until we win the lottery for that.)

My husband was very confused by my organization, and now he won't put any of the containers away because he doesn't "understand the system". But it's easy! It just takes time to get used to, and hopefully, it will become a habit to put the lids and containers back into the cabinet this way. And if I've learned anything from reading James Clear's Atomic Habits, it's that tiny changes can be the most powerful! (More on that later.)

What goals have you achieved so far this year or what goals do you still hope to achieve?

Comments