National Pumpkin Day 2021 - 8 Favorite Pumpkin Recipes

It almost seems silly to give pumpkin its own day when it basically has its own season, and yet here we are. Happy National Pumpkin Day!

I get it. Not everyone is a fan. But I sure am! While I can no longer have Starbucks' pumpkin spice lattes (it contains dairy), there are several other ways that I like to enjoy that pumpkin flavor. Here are some of my favorite pumpkin recipes (both sweet and savory pumpkin recipes) to help you celebrate National Pumpkin Day 2021.


Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

Every day is pumpkin day at my house. I've recently been enjoying protein shakes for breakfast, courtesy of The Cheat System Diet. And wouldn't you know it? They included a recipe for a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. Unfortunately, I can't find an online link to the recipe, but perhaps your local library has this book or you can find a copy of the book to purchase. (It's well worth it. Just read my review of it here.)


Basically, I'll tell you the ingredients: canned pumpkin, vanilla extract, vanilla protein powder, fiber, coconut milk, flaxseed meal, and ice. Blend it all up and you've got a delicious drinkable pumpkin pie!

Pumpkin & Turkey Chili

I'm also a huge fan of this Pumpkin & Turkey Chili from actress Julie Benz that was printed in a very old issue of People magazine. I love making this pumpkin recipe for dinner. What I love about it is that it's really not spicy. The chili has a sweetness to it, and it's nice and hearty on a cold fall night.

Pumpkin Bars

I'm also still really into Pumpkin Bars. The frosting in the version I grew up with is not dairy-free, and I'm still trying to figure out how to make it dairy-free and delicious. But you probably don't even need the frosting! 


Fudgy Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies

I think all of these are easy pumpkin recipes, but this one is the easiest! For an alternative to pumpkin pie, you can't go wrong with this two-ingredient dessert: Fudgy Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies. Just mix gluten-free chocolate mix with canned pumpkin, bake, and enjoy! This is one of the easiest pumpkin dessert recipes with canned pumpkin. Whenever I make this, it's always a hit. Bonus - it's also a healthy pumpkin recipe.

Vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pancakes

Last year I discovered one of the best pumpkin recipes ever: Vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pancakes recipe from The Pretty Bee. They were SO good and made a lot of leftovers. Don't relegate this to breakfast only. If you do breakfast for dinner, you could add this to your rotation of pumpkin dinner recipes.


Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Baked Pumpkin Donuts

It wouldn't be a list of the best pumpkin recipes without pumpkin donuts! I miss going to the farm and getting a pumpkin donut, but I can easily make my own with this Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Baked Pumpkin Donuts pumpkin recipe from Audrey at Mama Knows Gluten Free. If you don't have a donut pan yet, you MUST get one. It has been the best investment ever because I'm always using it to bake donuts.

Pumpkin Bread

A few years ago, I made a pumpkin bread recipe that tasted just like the kind they serve at Starbucks. Honestly, I haven't made it since, but at the time, it was one of my top pumpkin recipes. I'll need to make it again this year!

Paleo Pumpkin Pie Bars

I don't think you can have a list of pumpkin dessert recipes without including a pumpkin pie recipe. That's one of the classic pumpkin desserts! A few years ago, I made a vegan pumpkin pie, and while it was good (needed more time to rest in the fridge before serving), it wasn't an easy pumpkin pie recipe. Enter these Paleo Pumpkin Pie Bars from Real Food with Jessica. These pumpkin bars are like the real thing except made in a square pan with a homemade crust of gluten-free almond and coconut flours.


These are my favorite pumpkin recipes ideas. These pumpkin recipes for fall will help you get in the spirit of the season in lots of different ways. Let me know if you have other favorite recipes that use pumpkin!

Comments