The BEST Non-Dairy Plant-Based Petit Pumpkin Pielets

What does fall mean to you? If it means pumpkin EVERYTHING, then you're in luck. All month long, I'll be sharing some yummy and healthy pumpkin treats from Chef Mareya Ibrahim, lifestyle and nutrition expert, celebrity chef, and author of Eat Like You Give a Fork. (Remember when I reviewed her cookbook?)

Today I get to share with you her recipe for the BEST non-dairy plant-based petite pumpkin pielets.


Did you know that pumpkin is rich in fiber, low in calories, and loaded with antioxidants (Vitamin A and beta-carotene) and immunity-boosting Vitamin C? Pumpkin is good for everyone!

And these gluten-free, dairy-free mini pumpkin pies will be just the thing to bring to Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving, or any other fall gathering. 

Chef Mareya's Petit Pumpkin Pielets

(Makes 12 petit pies)

Ingredients for the filling:
18 oz. lite extra-firm organic tofu
2 cups canned or aseptic-packed pumpkin
1 cup vanilla coconut or oat milk yogurt (I used Silk vanilla yogurt)
1/3 cup Xylitol (or alternative natural sweetener) (I used honey)
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup low-sugar dark chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips b/c they are dairy-free)

Ingredients for the crust:
Pre-made vegan and gluten-free almond pie crust (I used Schar gluten-free phyllo dough)
Muffin pan (non-stick or silicon)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Use a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter to cut the pie dough into circles that fit in the bottom of the muffin pan.
3. Par-bake the crust for 5 minutes.
4. Then, make the filling by draining the tofu, placing it in a food processor, and processing until smooth.
5. Add the remaining filling ingredients and process until well blended.
6. Pour onto the crust 2/3 full and top with a few chocolate chips. 
7. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes.

The Results:

I have to be honest - the hardest part of this was trying to mix everything in my blender. I don't have a large enough food processor, nor do I own a fancy high-powered blender. So I was having a little trouble pulsing the tofu and getting everything well blended. (I also had trouble using the phyllo dough, but that was user error.) 

HOWEVER, these actually tasted like real pumpkin pie! And the chocolate chips on top were a nice touch. (I love pumpkin and chocolate together, don't you?)

Leave a comment if you make these, and let me know how it went! Stay tuned because another Chef Mareya recipe is coming next week!

Comments