7 Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Staples I Always Buy

My husband has been gluten-free since January 2010, and I've been dairy-free since August 2018. Needless to say, we're used to eating special diets. Thus, there are certain dairy-free and gluten-free staples that are always on our grocery list. 

Unreal Dark Chocolate Covered Peanuts

This one is more for me than for my husband. Momma needs a treat! I first discovered Unreal Snacks at the 2017 Gluten-Free Expo. It made my best new finds list! This is non-GMO candy that is gluten-free and made with zero chemical dyes. That's why the candies don't have the traditional bright colors of, say, M&Ms.

While not all of Unreal's food products are dairy-free, the dark chocolate-covered peanuts are. And they are my jam.

Caulipower Chicken Tenders

I don't remember how I discovered these gluten-free chicken tenders, but I'm so glad I did! Whenever they are on sale at our grocery store or I have a coupon, I pick up a bag of these frozen chicken tenders, made with cauliflower. They're perfect for a quick weeknight dinner! (I also like their cauliflower pizza crusts.)

Canyon Bakehouse Bread

While my husband started off eating Udi's gluten-free bread, he soon switched to Canyon Bakehouse because it's consistently delicious (and doesn't have giant holes in the middle of the bread). I always pick up a loaf of this bread - found in the frozen section - and store it in our freezer until my husband is ready to eat it.

Udi's French Baguettes or Dinner Rolls

Speaking of Udi's, I do like to grab a package of their dinner rolls or french baguettes for an easy gluten-free side dish with dinner. I used to buy Against the Grain rolls and baguettes, but then I found out they contained milk, so that meant I could no longer eat them. ARGH! But the Udi's products are just fine and do not contain the allergens we must avoid.

Unsweetened Original Almond Milk

For some reason, this particular version of shelf-stable almond milk has been really hard to find lately. I prefer buying the shelf-stable stuff (usually found in the cereal or juice aisle, depending on your grocery store) because I can stock up in my gluten-free pantry and only open a carton when I'm ready. I've always purchased the unsweetened original stuff as opposed to vanilla-flavored because it's got less sugar in it.

Ronzoni Gluten-Free Pasta

We go back and forth between Barilla Gluten-Free Pasta and Ronzoni Gluten-Free Pasta. It usually depends on which one is cheaper that week, but both are equally delicious and easy to find. If I want to find gluten-free pasta that's not in the traditional pasta shapes, I'll get Barilla (shells) or Jovial Foods (lasagna).

GoVeggie Parmesan Cheese

When I went dairy-free, I was so sad thinking that I'd never be able to make my mom's lasagna recipe again. But you know what? It's been so easy to substitute ingredients and make something that takes like the original. Using GoVeggie's vegan parmesan cheese has been a lifesaver! It's got a similar texture and looks just like regular parmesan - something that not all vegan parms do. I like how it's an easy substitution for regular parmesan.

Comments