Real Simple Beef Quesadillas

Well it has really been a month of new recipes, I've gotta tell ya. And most of them come from Real Simple. Here's one we made the other night for beef quesadillas. I had to tweak the recipe a tad to make it gluten-free and work with the seasonings that we had. Here is the original recipe, along with a side dish of watercress and corn salad. Yeah, I didn't make the side.

Adapted Real Simple Beef Quesadillas
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon plus four teaspoons of canola oil
1/2 pound of ground beef
2 dashes of paprika
2 dashes of onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 corn tortillas (The only ones I could find were small and came in a package of 10.)
1 1/2 cups of Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

Directions:
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beef (preferably defrosted, although I made it with frozen beef and defrosted/cooked in the oil), paprika, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until the beef is no longer pink.
2. Heat broiler. Brush one side of each tortilla with one teaspoon of the remaining oil. Place two tortillas oil-side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Top with beef mixture, Monterey Jack, and remaining tortillas (oil-side up). Broil until crisp and the cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes per side. (Corn tortillas are a different beast than flour tortillas. It took a little longer to get them crispy.)

You can serve with or without sour cream. I cut each tortilla into fourths to make them bite-sized.

If you're the kind of person who can't work with pinches and dashes of seasoning, well, I'm sorry. I took the seasoning bottle of paprika and dumped two quick swipes over the beef. The same with the onion powder. Feel free to use less or more seasoning depending on your palate. Honestly, I think I got the onion powder right (what a wonderful aroma!) but I would probably use more paprika. And add more cheese. I think I skimped on the cheese. But hey - now we can't wait to make them again!


Comments