Cranberry Scones

I don't think I've posted this recipe before, and really, I'm too lazy to go back through my 300+ posts to find out, so excuse me if this is a repeat. But it's a good one to repeat.

This is a scone recipe that came on the packaging for my scone dish that my mom gave me. It's supposed to have cranberries in it, but sometimes I make it with chocolate chips because I LOVE chocolate chip scones. (Okay, I love chocolate chips, but...)

And this is the recipe I was telling you about that will use up the buttermilk you have left over from the Crispy Popcorn Chicken recipe. (Because you did make that recipe, right?)

Let's get to it—
Ingredients:
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
3 cups flour (THIS IS NOT A GLUTEN-FREE RECIPE.)
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
8 tbsp. butter
1 cup of frozen or dried cranberries (or chocolate chips or frozen blueberries)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375. Coat pan with cooking spray. (I coat mine with canola oil.)
2. Beat the egg with the buttermilk and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add the butter, rubbing it in with fingers. (Yes, this gets messy.)
5. Lightly stir in the sugar and cranberries (or whatever you're using).
6. Stir in the buttermilk/egg mixture with a fork until a soft dough forms.
7. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface (parchment/wax paper works well) and knead five times.
8. Separate into eight pieces and fit into a pan. (This is if you have the special scone pan. If you're just using a baking sheet, separate the dough into eight equal-sized circles.)
9. Bake 20-25 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes in pan.

Oh, these are so delicious. And this time, I sprinkled raw sugar on top for some added sweetness and texture. That was the right move!

Comments