What We've Been Eating That's Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free

I know I've been bad about sharing recipes I've been making, so here's a round-up of some gluten-free and dairy-free recipes we've enjoyed over the past couple of weeks. Crossing some stuff off my Pinterest list!


For this first recipe, I needed something to cook to use up some chicken thighs taking up space in my freezer. This one, from Betty Crocker, was easy (hello, slow cooker) and didn't require that many ingredients.


The only thing I would say about this recipe is that I wish my grocery store sold loose Yukon Gold potatoes. I had to buy a 5-pound bag, which I didn't need, and then a bunch of potatoes went to waste. Next time, I'll have to plan ahead better and have another potato recipe ready.

Was it kid-friendly? My 3.5-year-old wouldn't eat it.

Chorizo Fried Rice

I've had this Rachael Ray recipe in my Pinterest food board for a long time, so I finally decided to make it. It uses chorizo sausage, yellow rice, beans, and a yummy spicy dressing that, unfortunately, I couldn't eat because it contains sour cream. Not dairy-free. But I served that version to my husband.


Chorizo is kind of spicy, so make sure that your family can handle the heat before you make this. I thought it was delicious, but I don't mind the flavor of chorizo. I would make this again for myself and serve it up for lunch.

Here's how I served it to my daughter because she doesn't like beans.


Did she eat it? No.

Easy Chicken Burrito Meal Prep Bowls

I really can't remember what was happening in my life recently, but for some reason I must have had a lot of chicken thighs to use up. I thought I had only enough for one recipe, but I guess I bought more? My mind is gone, you guys. I don't know. But there is photographic evidence that I made this.


This one, from My Food Story, is basically just cooking up some chicken and then placing it in a bowl with cooked corn, rice, beans, and pico de gallo salsa. You could add tortillas and wrap everything up, but you don't have to. This is perfect as a make-ahead meal for dinner or lunch.

I didn't make my own pico de gallo, and I used my own taco seasoning recipe for the chicken instead of buying a pre-made packet. You can garnish with sour cream (or probably cheese), but I did not do that because it's not dairy-free.

Did my kid eat it? No.

So not everything has been a hit with my preschooler, but I swear all she wants to eat is pizza, macaroni and cheese, waffles, cookies, chicken nuggets, and chicken noodle soup. Dinnertime is a whole other blog post.

Which one of these recipes sounds good to you? What have you been eating lately?

Comments