Super Easy Taco Seasoning

Back when my husband was diagnosed with Celiac disease, I made a huge effort to find gluten-free recipes so that we could still eat the foods we loved. One of those recipes was for taco seasoning. Turns out, most of the taco seasonings that come in the boxes with the tacos are gluten-free (at least the ingredients list checks out) but I wanted to be on the safe side. Sometimes we just buy the tacos (they are made from corn, not flour) and use this taco seasoning. And we always have leftover tacos so instead of going out and buying another pre-made packet of seasoning, we just use this recipe. I can't remember where I found it online, but this recipe tastes just as good as the kind from Ortega or Old El Paso.

Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning

Ingredients:
1 tbsp. corn starch
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. pepper

Directions:
1. Cook the meat and drain. Return to skillet.
2. Stir in 1 cup of water and the spices.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.

We don't use all the spices because there are two of them that we don't have. I'm too cheap to go out and buy spices that I won't use all the time (spices are expensive!), so we just go without and it still tastes fine. I think the two spices we omit are cayenne and cumin. So if you have to leave some stuff out, it's okay! Enjoy taco night!

Comments

  1. I rarely buy the packets and always make my own homemade taco sauce. I don't use corn starch, but I could see why you would add it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment