Cereal Box Mail Sorters


The last time I made something out of a cereal box, it was a guitar to go with my punk rocker Halloween costume.

This time, I used cereal boxes to make something a little more useful: a mail sorter! I got the idea from this pin on Pinterest.

The original link no longer works, but you don't really need instructions to make this. All you need is some craft glue (I use Aleene's Tacky Glue), scrapbook paper (I used black-and-white patterned paper from Imaginisce because I figured it would be pretty neutral), scissors, cereal boxes, and magnetic clips for the fridge (We already had a ton of those).

If you are a lazy crafter like me, you won't use a ruler or make precise measurements when cutting into your cereal box. But if you like things precise, then a ruler would also be a good tool to have on hand.

I just cut off the top flaps of the cereal box, made a diagonal cut on each side of the box, and then cut across the box from tip of one diagonal to the other. Then, I wrapped only the sides and front of the box in scrapbook paper (cut to size beforehand or trim the excess once adhered) and stuck the paper on using craft glue.



I cut solid green scrapbook paper to give the inside of the cereal box some contrast and glued that in. Then I used coordinating sticker letters to label my mail sorter.

The number of mail sorters you want to make depends on just how organized you want to be. I made three: one for bills, one for papers we want to save, and one for coupons.



What's cool about this is that you don't have to use this only to corral all the craziness that gets stuck to your fridge. You can also use this as a way to organize stuff under your pantry. I've seen images on Pinterest of these cereal box organizers holding rolls of aluminum foil, parchment paper, and plastic wrap and hanging from the back of a cabinet door. You could also change how you cut your cereal box and turn it into a pretty DIY magazine holder. I've also seen people stack and cover the cereal boxes with fabric or paper to create paper shelves. You know, like those plastic black things people use at work?


There are multiple uses you'll get out of this one simple up-cycled craft! How would you use your cereal box organizer?

Comments