DIY Easter Wreath

A few years ago, I purchased a pre-made Easter egg wreath from the Target $1 spot. It's a perfectly nice wreath for our front door, but I wanted something a little nicer and larger to hang above our mantel during the Easter season. So I looked up a variety of different ideas in my Easter Pinterest board, and then went to Joann Fabric to pick up some supplies:

1. kraft-colored yarn
2. light pink yarn
3. 16-inch foam wreath (white or green)
4. sparkly egg accessories
5. a burlap bunny garland

My plan was to wrap the foam wreath in the kraft-colored yarn, add some of the light pink yarn as an accent, glue the sparkly eggs onto the wreath, and cut off one of the garland's burlap bunnies to also glue to the wreath.

Now, I've made a yarn wreath before. It was really simple! Just wrap the yarn around the foam wreath. However, the foam wreath I purchased wasn't covered in plastic, and you REALLY need your foam wreath in its protective plastic covering. It will make things so much easier. I decided to wrap my wreath in plastic wrap - you know, the stuff you use to attempt to cover bowls of food and it never sticks? Well, it stuck pretty well to the foam.



I did two coats of the kraft-colored yarn to make sure there was no more green left. This is a time-consuming process! Make sure to sit in a comfortable chair while you do this and take frequent breaks, otherwise your fingers and hands will start to cramp up. (Sounds super fun, right? Aren't you just dying to do this now??)



Once the wreath was completely covered, I measured out where I wanted my pink yarn to go. I did two patches close together at the top, and two patches a little more spread out on the bottom. 

(Who am I kidding? I didn't plan for the two bottom patches to be so far apart, but it ended up working, so whatever.)


In the past, I've used a hot glue gun to adhere things onto my craft projects, but I always have issues with stuff falling off after awhile. So this time, I decided to try Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue to glue the sparkly eggs onto my wreath. A few months ago, I got box of Aleene's Tacky Glue sent to me at work. It's not something we would have reviewed at work, so I brought the box home for use on craft projects. 


It took longer for the tacky glue to dry than hot glue, but surprisingly, the sparkly eggs stuck and they haven't fallen off yet! It helps if you press down on what you're adhering for a few minutes to make sure there is a good bond.


To adhere the burlap bunny from the garland, I used the garland's cardboard packaging to add sturdy backing to the bunny before using the tacky glue to stick the bunny to the wreath.

And here is the finished product:


The container of sparkly eggs had a sheer yellow ribbon on it, which I used as a pretty hook to hang the wreath from the nail already in our brick wall.

Yes, this wreath took me two weeks off and on to complete, but I think all the effort (and hand cramping) was worth it.

Easter is almost here! Are you guys finishing up any last-minute Easter crafts? I'd love to hear about them in the comments!

Comments