TBT - On the Jacket Potato

I've been to England three times, and I'm going back this summer. I enjoyed the food I ate there. But for some reason, everyone else I talk to acts like all the English serve you at mealtime is rocks.

And here's what I say to those people: DID YOU TRY THE JACKET POTATO???


Okay, I don't have a picture of a jacket potato. The last time I was in England was 10 years ago, and that was WAY before anyone was taking pictures of EVERYTHING they ate. I did manage to capture a few shots of traditional English food during my study abroad time in England, which you can see on the scrapbook page above: English breakfast, cheese toastie (grilled cheese - c'mon, who doesn't like grilled cheese?), Yorkshire pudding, Indian food (that was the first time I'd ever eaten Indian food!).


And there were the delicious chocolate Yorkie bars! (And the time I tried to open a door and ripped off the handle TOTALLY BY ACCIDENT as seen in the pictures above!) And the Aero bar! So good!


But the jacket potato - oh my. It's basically a baked potato. Both halves of the potato. But instead of topping it with butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon, and chives, you get chicken tikka or coronation chicken as the filling. The potato halves basically "jacket" the filling. And it is delicious!

You couldn't get jacket potatoes in the regular campus cafeteria where I studied abroad, so you had to make a special trip to this other campus restaurant during lunch hours to see if they had chicken tikka or coronation chicken jacket potatoes. Sometimes they didn't! Sometimes they only had chicken and mayonnaise jacket potatoes, which was fine, too, but NOT as good.

Seriously, if you haven't had a jacket potato, YOU MUST HAVE ONE. Go to England RIGHT NOW. Find a place that serves jacket potatoes and eat. You won't be disappointed.

Other foods I enjoyed while abroad: pasties, fish and chips wrapped in paper, kebabs, lamb, bangers and mash. Really, people. It's not hard to find good food in England.


The above scrapbook page doesn't have any food in it, but I saw it while flipping through my study abroad scrapbook and just had to share it, mainly because of the picture of Jenni and me in the bottom right-hand corner. Ah, the time we got "lost" on a bus in Ireland. That's a whole other blog post.

Comments