MorningStar Farms Veggie Burgers - Review


I love meat. I'm not a vegetarian, and I have no plans to become one. But before the MorningStar Farms BzzAgent campaign, I'd never tasted a veggie burger. So I thought, "Well, why not?"

And it was GOOD! I don't know how they do it, but these really tasted like MEAT!




It just so happens that I was reading the February issue of Family Circle around the same time, which mentioned opting for veggie burgers instead of regular cheeseburgers to help reduce your risk of getting heart disease. The magazine wrote that you should always check the labels of the veggie burgers, though, because some can have as much as 1,000 mg of sodium, which is two-thirds the American Heart Association's recommended daily amount. One of the suggested low-sodium veggie burgers was the MorningStar Farms spicy black bean burgers. They have 350 mg of sodium per patty.



According to the package, these have 73 percent less fat than ground beef and are a good source of protein.

For those of you who want to know more nutritional information, here it is (per patty):
120 calories 
4 grams of fat 
0.5 grams of saturated fat
0 grams trans fats
2 grams polyunsaturated fat
1 gram monounsaturated fat
0 mg cholesterol
250 mg potassium
13 grams carbs
4 grams dietary fiber
2 grams sugar
11 grams protein
(These patties do contain soy, wheat, egg, and milk ingredients. I wish that these were gluten-free because I think my husband would really enjoy them.)

The spicy black bean burger patties have black beans, corn, and tomatoes baked into them. I couldn't really taste the tomatoes, but I did taste the black beans and corn, and they were so good. The smell of these burgers cooking was just amazing. It reminded me of a veggie pizza that I made a few months ago. There had to be cumin in this burger patty because it totally smelled like it. One of my favorite cooking smells! 

I cooked my veggie patties in the microwave, which was super easy, but you can also grill them or thaw them and cook in a skillet. Being able to cook them in the microwave was great for me because I was able to bring these to work and cook them up for lunch.  

You can have these with your favorite burger toppings. Honestly, the spicy black bean burgers were fine all by themselves. I tried one with mustard and cheese on a bun, but the spicy black bean burgers have such strong flavor that nothing else was really necessary. I still ate the rest on buns, but I feel like you wouldn't even have to do that if you didn't want to!

There are a couple other varieties of the Morningstar Farms veggie burgers, and I am definitely going to try them all. Have you ever tried Morningstar Farms veggie burgers or any other brand of veggie burgers? What do you think of them?

Comments