Remember a few weeks ago when I posted about neglected recipes I'd been meaning to try? Well, I finally got around to making one of them: Coconut Chicken Salad with Warm Honey Vinaigrette. This recipe is a total keeper! After we finished eating, my husband said TWICE how good it was. :)
Of course, I had to make some changes to this recipe in order for it to be gluten-free, SO here is my gluten-free recipe along with some other adaptations:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 tbsp. shredded coconut
2 tbsp. rice crumbs (or gluten-free bread crumbs)
1 tbsp. crushed gluten-free cornflake crumbs
2 egg whites
olive oil spray (Mazola's website says it is gluten-free)
6 cups baby greens
3/4 cup shredded carrots
For the vinaigrette:
1 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. white vinegar
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1. Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. (I put my bowl into the fridge.)
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Combine coconut flakes, rice crumbs, cornflake crumbs, and salt in a bowl. Put the egg whites in another bowl.
4. Lightly season the chicken breasts with salt. Dip them in the egg whites, then in the coconut crumb mix.
5. Place the chicken breasts on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil for easy clean-up. (The original recipe calls for parchment paper, but I didn't have parchment or wax paper.)
6. Lightly spray the chicken with the olive oil spray and bake for 35-40 minutes, turning halfway, or until chicken is cooked through.
7. Place two cups of baby greens on each plate.
8. Divide the carrots evenly between each plate.
9. When the chicken is ready, slice it on the diagonal and place it on the greens.
10. Heat the dressing in the microwave for a few seconds and divide it equally between each salad.