Will someone please remind me to never read another David Putnam book?
I recently finished The Obsessions of Harvey Usher, a book that came out last year and that I only got around to reading this summer. I received a free e-ARC through NetGalley.
First off, I think the cover art for this novel is misleading. On it, we see a red-headed woman standing in front of a car. That appears to be the "Rita" character in the novel, but the cover image doesn't match the description of the character.
I also didn't understand why every character talked like they were in a 1950s detective movie.
The first chapter of the book really didn't do much to make me want to continue reading. In fact, I took a nap after finally finishing it. I will say that the middle to the end does get kind of interesting as you finally start understanding Harvey's story. In the present day, he's an old man who thinks he's being conned by this "Rita" person, and in the past, he's got a crush on his neighbor and a job with the mob. I'm sure you can guess how well all of that might turn out.
When I finished this book, I looked at the other books that Putnam has written and realized that I had read one of them before - and I also really disliked it! So I think that I am not Putnam's audience.
The Obsessions of Harvey Usher is published by Level Best Books and is on bookstore shelves now. I received a free e-ARC in exchange for my review.

Comments
Post a Comment