How to Earn the Daisy Promise Center and Good Neighbor Badge - First Meeting Plan

Our Girl Scout troop didn't become official until January of that school year. I really wanted the girls to get started earning badges, so to make up for lack of meeting space (or time to secure one), we held a virtual first meeting! In this Zoom meeting, I introduced the girls to Girl Scouts, and they earned the Daisy Promise Center and the Good Neighbor badge.


Here's what we did to earn these badges:

Daisy Promise Center:

I introduced how to make the Girl Scout sign and recite the Girl Scout Promise and the Girl Scout Law. Learning about those traditions helped the girls earn the Promise Center, which is the center circle of the Daisy Petal Set.

Good Neighbor Badge:

2. Discover your city or town

Prior to the meeting, I had emailed the parents a blank map of our state, asking the girls to mark where our city was on the map (and color it in, of course). I also asked the moms to help their girls find fun facts about our town. We shared the maps and the fun facts over Zoom.

3. See what makes your state special

From there, I asked the girls what makes our state special. "Why should people visit our state?" I didn't write down any of their answers, but if you've ever asked a 5-year-old a question, you know you're going to get some interesting responses. I always loved comparing the suggested responses from the Volunteer Toolkit (VTK) with the actual responses I received as we went through our Daisy years.

1. Explore your school

Another activity that I asked the moms to work on with their daughters at home was to draw a picture and/or write a thank-you letter to someone in our community. Over the Zoom, I explained that a community was a group of people, kind of like their Kindergarten class. The girls shared their drawings/thank-you notes, and then we talked about how people in a community should act in order to be a good neighbor.

To close the meeting, I taught them the "Make New Friends" song. It's how we've ended every meeting since. 

Did your troop earn the Good Neighbor badge? What activities did you do for the Promise Center? What badge did you earn at your first Daisy meeting?

Comments