3 Apple-Picking Tips & 10 Apple Recipe Ideas

One of our favorite fall activities is something we just started doing recently: apple picking!

The first time we went, I didn't have a plan about what to do with all those apples. And we ended up with a lot of apples. 

Since then, I've learned a thing or two and wanted to share those tips, as well as provide some potential apple recipes, in today's blog post.



Tip 1: Buy an Apple Corer/Peeler

Many apple recipes require that you peel your apples, and if you want to save some time on that task, then an apple corer/peeler is your friend. I have one that suction cups to the countertop and does a pretty good job of removing all of the skin. (It can also be used to peel potatoes.)

Tip 2: You Don't Need As Many Containers As You Think

The first year we went apple-picking I got a bag for my daughter and a bag for myself. I assumed that the bags wouldn't hold that many apples.

I was wrong.

So we ended up with tons of apples and no real idea of how to use them. If I was you, I'd start with one bag (or basket or whatever it is that your local farm provides), and if you think you need more, then you can always go back and get another bag.

Tip 3: Plan Ahead

How are you going to use these apples? Does your family like to eat apple slices at snack time? Are you going to make apple pies for a family gathering? 

If you're like me, you might even have an allergic reaction to eating apples unless they are juiced or baked. 

So figure out what you want to make with apples, and then write down how many apples those recipes are going to require. That's the number of apples you definitely want to pick.


Which leads me to...

APPLE RECIPES!

Some of these I have made before, while others are still new to me, but I hope to make them this fall. Many are gluten-free or can easily be made gluten-free/dairy-free, depending on your dietary restrictions. And if you're looking for more apple inspiration, then check out my It's Fall, Y'all Pinterest board. 

Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Bread

This delicious bread from My Gluten-Free Kitchen looks like it may be a good fall banana bread replacement!

Apple Oatmeal Muffins

Looking for a healthy breakfast or snack? These muffins from Cotter Crunch are vegan and gluten-free!

Best Gluten-Free Apple Pie

If you're picking apples, then you have to make an apple pie. Try this gluten-free version from Fearless Dining.

Apple Cinnamon Vegan French Toast Muffins

These muffins from Simply Quinoa seem to combine all my favorites: fall flavors, vegan ingredients, and a favorite breakfast food!

Instant Pot Apple Crisp

When I think of apple-picking and fall, warm comfort foods come to mind. If apple pie isn't your thing, then check out this apple crisp recipe from Tastes Better from Scratch. You could easily use gluten-free oats in this recipe.


I made this one, and I've got some notes for you. The recipe calls for one cup of water, but my Instant Pot gave me the dreaded "Food Burn" warning, so I had to add another half cup of water to finish the cooking. 

Also, make sure to cut your apples up into small chunks. If they are too big, they will still be kind of crispy. You want them to be soft. (Or at least, I did.)

Caramel Apple Oatmeal Cookies

I can no longer eat caramel apples due to my little apple allergy problem, but baked into cookies? Yes, please. I can't wait to try this cookie recipe from Fit Mom Journey.

Crockpot Fall Cider

Nothing says fall more than a warm mug of apple cider! Make your own with this slow-cooker recipe from Almost Super Mom.

Apple Butter Pie

I love me some apple butter. (A recipe for that is coming!) And baked into a pie? Looks like it's got a pumpkin pie-type consistency, and my mouth is drooling over this recipe from Tastes of Lizzie T.

Crockpot Apple Butter

Nothing could be easier than this gluten-free and vegan apple butter recipe from Moms with Crockpots. You can always adjust the amount of ingredients if you don't want to make a big batch.

The Best Cinnamon Apple Cake

When you kid asks you for a cake, make this cinnamon apple cake from Sweetest Menu. Chunks of peeled apple are baked into a super moist cake. I used gluten-free all-purpose flour in this recipe, and it turned out great.



My tip: this cake needs to cook longer than the recommended bake time. I did 30 minutes, then 35 minutes, and finally after 40 minutes, my cake tester stick came out clean.

I hope these tips help you out on your next apple-picking adventure this fall, and I also hope that these apple recipes give you lots of inspiration for what to do with the apples you picked. Let me know what your favorite apple recipe is in the comments!

Comments

  1. Wow these are amazing ideas we will definitely be going apple picking this summer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment