Eating Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free at Disneyland & California Adventure

While on our summer vacation, we also spent three days at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. And, of course, we ate there! So today I'll be sharing with you the places we successfully ate gluten-free and dairy-free at both Disney theme parks.

In Disneyland:

Mint Julep Bar

While the folks in your party who don't have food issues can eat delicious Mickey Mouse-shaped beignets, those of you who are gluten-free and dairy-free can sip on a Mint Julep at the Mint Julep Bar! This non-alcoholic drink is like lemonade with mint and lime. All three of us shared a cup, and it was a hit all around! I'd totally make this at home.


Hungry Bear Restaurant

We ran into a tiny issue with lunch at the Hungry Bear. My husband ordered a gluten-free cheeseburger, and I ordered the Classic Impossible Cheeseburger. The problem arose when we picked up our order: both burgers had an allergy-free stick in them. Great except...we couldn't tell which burger was gluten-free and which was plant-based on a gluten-filled bun. I had to go back to the counter and ask an employee. 


Much to my disappointment, the burger with the normal-looking cheese was the gluten-free bun burger. My plant-based burger had some weird Pepper Jack-esque "cheese" on it that was very spicy. So, overall, not what I was expecting, but it was still pretty good.

Tiki Juice Bar

I could eat Dole Whip all day! Not the pineapple flavor, mind you. Gross. But did you know there are other flavors available? At the Tiki Juice Bar, you can get pineapple, watermelon, or mango, OR swirl two flavors together as I did. I ended up with a watermelon/mango swirl, which I was nervous about at first, but then I ate it. Yum!


And yes, the Dole Whip is dairy-free! It's also gluten-free and fat-free!

Galactic Grill

Back in Disneyland's Tomorrowland, I had a plant-based Veggie Wrap at Galactic Grill for lunch. It's a medley of black beans, fire-roasted corn, mixed greens, dairy-free cheese, and a sun-dried tomato spread. It was pretty good - definitely something different! But it was also VERY messy.


There were a few gluten-free options at Galactic Grill, as well. My husband got another cheeseburger on a gluten-free bun.

Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor

Of course, I could not eat the ice cream at Gibson Girl, BUT they did have a Rocket Sundae that was two scoops of raspberry sorbet and one scoop of lemon sorbet. Sorbet, as you may know, is naturally dairy-free because it doesn't have any milk or cream. The sundae was topped with blue raspberry marshmallow creme (which was kind of weird) and sprinkles.


This sundae was not actually listed on the menu board inside the store, but if you look at where the cash registers are, you'll see some placards listing the Rocket Sundae and another specialty sundae. They make it seem like it's a seasonal thing, so I don't know what that means in terms of how often this sorbet sundae is available. 

In California Adventure:

Pym Test Kitchen

Over in California Adventure, you can experience vegan meatballs in the Marvel section of the park. But because it's the Pym Test Kitchen, based on Ant-Man, you're either going to get something really huge or really small. 


I was happy with the size of my Impossible Spoonful: rigatoni and ditalini pastas with plant-based meatballs, tomato sauce, dairy-free parmesan, and micro basil. 

To go along with that, I also ordered a Proton Punch, which was amazing: lemonade, berry puree, cherry flavor-filled boba, and a grenadine-filled pipette.

My husband got the gluten-free PB3 Superb Sandwich, which is peanut butter, candied bacon, and banana on gluten-free bread. He said it was amazing.

Our kiddo, on the other hand, didn't enjoy her kids' meal of spaghetti and meatballs because the meatballs didn't taste good - they were plant-based, too. Something to keep in mind if you're eating here with picky eaters.

Flo's V8 Cafe

We also ate dinner in California Adventure at Flo's in Radiator Springs. It was so good! I think my husband and I actually got the same thing: Ramone's Low and Slow Club. My husband got his on gluten-free bread, but I didn't have to make any adjustments for my dairy-free version.


Some final tips:

1. Use the mobile order feature. It beats waiting in line to order! Haven't you already waited in enough lines?

2. Yes, the parks have Starbucks, so if you need your regular coffee fix, you can still get it with whatever milk substitute you prefer! 

3. Bring your own allergen-free snacks. Guests are allowed to bring in outside food, as well as sealed water bottles. So if you don't feel comfortable dining somewhere or don't feel like spending the money on a full meal, your own snacks from home are always a good option!

Comments