3 Favorite Salmon Recipes & How to Make Them Gluten-Free

Whenever salmon is on sale at the grocery store, I can't pass it up. Salmon is one of those dinners that makes you feel like you're eating healthy (because fish has omega-3s!) and everyone in my family will eat it. And today I'm sharing with you what I think are some of the best salmon recipes ever!


These three salmon dinner ideas are easy salmon recipes, don't take a lot of time to make, and are fairly healthy salmon recipes. It's also easy to make these recipes gluten-free and dairy-free with minor ingredient substitutions. Give these a try in your kitchen, and then tell me what you think are the best salmon recipes!

Noodles with Flaked Salmon and Crispy Bok Choy

One of the first salmon recipes I ever made was this Noodles with Flaked Salmon and Crispy Bok Choy Slaw from Real Simple. When this was published in the January 2015 issue of the magazine, I dog-eared it in my copy, tore it out, and then made some notes on how to make it gluten-free.

So if you, too, are interested in making this easy fish dish, here are some pointers:

  • The recipe calls for teriyaki sauce. Make sure the one you use is gluten-free, like this one from Kikkoman. I have also used gluten-free tamari when I forgot to buy teriyaki.
  • The recipe also calls for lo mein noodles. An easy sub is gluten-free spaghetti. 
Everything else in this recipe is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, so you're good to go with this recipe by simply making two substitutions.


Ginger Salmon with Sesame Cucumbers

I also really like this Ginger Salmon with Sesame Cucumbers recipe that's originally from Jessica Seinfeld. Of course, I detest cucumbers, so I don't make that part of the recipe. But the ginger salmon is good!

Here's how to make it gluten-free:
  • Kind of like the above recipe, you'll need to make sure your soy sauce is gluten-free. I always have gluten-free tamari in my fridge.
And that's it! Even if you choose to make the cucumbers, all of those ingredients are naturally gluten-free (and dairy-free). 

The only other thing I'll say about this recipe is that I do feel like it takes longer for the salmon to cook than what the instructions say. But that could just be my oven.

Hot Italian Salmon Garlic Scampi

The third salmon recipe I like to make is Hot Italian Salmon Garlic Scampi from The Cheat System Diet. Unfortunately, this recipe is not available anywhere on the internet, so let me tell you how I make it. (I do things a little differently because I don't enjoy trying to crush my own garlic. I'm also lazy.)

Ingredients:
  • 4-5 tbsp of lemon juice
  • 1 pound of fresh salmon
  • 1.5 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1 and 3/4 tsp of minced garlic
  • 10 shakes of red pepper flakes
  • 4 shakes of salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. In a 9x13 baking dish, place a piece of tinfoil large enough to wrap completely around the salmon. Add 2 tbsp of lemon juice to the tinfoil so the salmon doesn't stick.
  3. Place salmon in the pan and drizzle olive oil on top. Add remaining lemon juice over the fish. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt, spreading everything evenly over the salmon. Seal the tinfoil.
  4. Bake in the oven for 28 minutes, and check the fish's doneness. I usually have to keep the salmon baking for an extra 10-15 minutes. The fish should flake easily when it's done.
We usually serve this with rice (white or brown) and a vegetable. And the best thing about this salmon dish? All of the ingredients are naturally gluten-free and dairy-free! You don't have to change a thing.



Does your family have popular salmon recipes that you eat all the time? I'd love to hear about them in the comments!

Comments