Pandemic Pantry Getting Started

When the COVID-19 stay-at-home orders came down, did anybody else find themselves scrambling to purchase groceries? I can guarantee you that I don't want to go through that again. So this year, I decided to start a pantry stockpile.

I found this great Quarantine Checklist printable from Savvy Mama Lifestyle that will help you make sure you've gotten all the essentials.

But if you want to know how much of something you'll need and a system for buying over time, I'd suggest a 52-week food storage list, like this one from Organized Mom or this one from Mom Gets Thrifty.


Each one suggests what to buy each week and how much you'll need. Since they both have different items each week, I decided to take suggestions from both lists. So for week 1, I purchased:

- five cans of tuna (adding to the three we already had)

- two boxes of salt 

- 16-ounces of honey

If you feel like you don't have space in your pantry, then maybe it's time to declutter the pantry. I do this several times a year, and it feels so good to throw things out - mainly expired food. I'm always amazed at how much space is actually in my small pantry.


If you still feel like your pantry can't hold it all, then designate a room or closet in your house (like in the basement) to store your stockpile. You've probably seen the spaces created by those couponers on Extreme Couponing, right? Make something like that! Of course, you don't have to go as extreme as that, but you get the idea.

I've done a 52-week money-saving challenge before, and I used the money I saved up to buy a KitchenAid stand mixer on sale at Zulily! (Best investment of my life!)

I'm sure this 52-week pandemic food pantry experiment will also be a good investment in a different way. I'll update along the way to let you know how it's going!

Comments