Tips for Doing a December Daily

It's that time of year - December Daily time! Not gonna lie. I just now got my stuff together for this year's December Daily. Whether you already have all your supplies and know just what you're going to do or you haven't even started, here are some tips for doing a December Daily that I swear by.


1. The Album

First, what kind of album do you want? There are so many different styles and sizes. I personally prefer a small album (8x8 or 6x6) and one with a D-ring binding because it's easier for me to add extra stuff, such as Christmas cards. 

In the past, I've used chipboard albums, but this year I'll be using an Echo Park 6x8 album.

The album is your base, so once you know what your base is, that helps to inform the rest of your December Daily choices.

2. How Many Photos?

This could actually be the first step, depending on your process. If you know how many photos you'll have, then you'll know how to proceed with the rest of the items on your list. December Daily, as the name suggests, is a collection of the daily events that happen during December. You can take a photo each day for 31 days or make it solely about Christmas and do a daily photo for 25 days. If I'm going to do a photo a day, as I plan on doing this year, I always go to the 26th of December because that's my birthday. 

Worried that you won't have enough to take pictures of? Try a December photo-a-day challenge to give you photo prompts. Or just don't worry about it. I've been doing December Daily since 2011, and I've had plenty of years where I only end up with 10 photos instead of 26. There's no right or wrong way to do December Daily.

3. Papers, Embellishments, and Fun Stuff

Now you need to decide what supplies you'll use to scrapbook it all. This applies to digital scrappers, too. There are always tons of holiday collections from scrapbook manufacturers. You just have to pick which one you want. I always mix and match pieces from my favorite collections. This year it's Studio Tekturek, Pretty Little Studio, Pinkfresh Studio, and Elle's Studio. I've got a December Daily Haul video that shows you everything I'm using.

Find it hard to narrow it down? Try a premade kit! Kit clubs make it easy for you to get coordinating papers and embellishments, especially helpful for projects like December Daily. The Paper Issues December kit is a fun one, and you can save 20% off when you use my code Lars.

4. When to Document

Do you want to wait until it's all over to sit down and put your album together? Do you want to scrap each day as it goes? Again, there's no right way to do it! Some years, I lay out the pages in advance, and then go back and add photos and embellishments after December. Some years I've waited to do the whole album after December - and not finished it until July! Doesn't matter how long it takes you to complete, just as long as you enjoy the process.

December Daily doesn't have to be complicated. You can make it as simple or as elaborate as you want. If it gets hard or frustrating, don't do it! Don't add to your stress during an already stressful time of year (double stressful due to this ongoing pandemic). Enjoy the season and enjoy capturing your everyday memories of it!

Comments