Otherworld, OtherEarth, and OtherLife Last Reality Book Series Book Review

How cool would it be to play a video game that allows you to use all five senses? That's the new technology that The Company is developing for its brand-new Otherworld video game experience. The only problem? Getting killed in the game gets you killed in real life.


This is the technology that Simon Eaton and his friends must battle to take down throughout all three books of the Last Reality series written by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller. As the series goes on, the technology gets bigger and badder: turning your real-world into a video game and creating cloned robots, for instance.

The moral of the story? Beware of the tech that you hold in your hands. I think with recent documentaries about the negative impacts of social media use, this book series has a message that resonates in the real lives of today's teens. It's a cautionary tale, urging kids (and adults) to be vigilant.

If you enjoy playing video games, then you'll love all the gamer lingo and discovering the different worlds within Otherworld. Even if you don't play video games (like me), this series will still be an enjoyable read.

There were some things I didn't like. I was often confused as to what was happening maybe because I just couldn't picture some of the things the authors were talking about. I also wasn't fond of the third book's resolution regarding the Kishka, but I won't spoil it for any of you. And then there's the whole issue of there already being a book series called Otherland that some readers have said is an awful lot like Otherworld. Now I don't know about that, but I certainly hope that the authors didn't steal their ideas.

The Last Reality books are on bookstore shelves now. I received the entire trilogy for free to review.

Comments