5 Dairy Free Hot Chocolate Ideas + Recipes

I love a good mug of hot cocoa. But maybe you're like me: Someone who needs a non-dairy hot chocolate recipe. Stay tuned to the end of this post for a link to a dairy-free hot chocolate recipe, but if you don't want to make your own, now you don't have to!

I actually only need a lactose-free hot chocolate mix, and I was excited to see that Swiss Miss now makes a non-dairy hot chocolate mix with coconut milk. This is just one example of dairy-free hot chocolate mix brands.

In honor of National Hot Chocolate Day (today!), here are a few ways that I like to top my dairy-free hot cocoa.

1. The Classic: Dairy-Free Whipped Cream and Mini Marshmallows

- I use Reddi-wip Almond Milk Whipped Cream

2. The Minty Marvel: Dairy-Free Whipped Cream, Crushed Peppermint, Peppermint Stick/Candy Cane

- You can purchase crushed peppermint. Trying to crush peppermint candies is hard work!

3. The Crunchy Sip: Edward & Sons Vegan, Gluten-Free, & Non-GMO Wafer Rolls (available in Hazelnut and Cocoa Creme), Dairy-Free Whipped Cream

4. The Super Chocolate: Dairy-Free Whipped Cream, Hershey's Syrup, Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips

- Hershey's Syrup does not contain any of the top 8 food allergens

5. The Mushy Mallow: Marshmallow Fluff, Mini Marshmallows


Other toppings to consider as hot cocoa bar ideas: dairy-free chocolate shavings, sprinkles, chili powder, candy canes, toffee bits, sea salt, vegan caramel sauce, cinnamon.

Don't forget, you can also make homemade dairy-free hot chocolate mix. I've made my own almond milk hot chocolate before. Check out my list of dairy-free hot chocolate recipe ideas on Pinterest. DIY'ing your hot chocolate almost makes you feel like you've made a healthy hot chocolate because you're able to control the ingredients.

Comments