Alphabet Summer Letter G Week Recap

Get ready for another week of alphabet learning! This week, by request, we did the letter G. 

If you want more ideas for your own alphabet curriculum, check out my Kid School and Alphabet Summer Pinterest boards.


On Monday, we read Curious George (surprisingly a book I'd never read before), colored a picture of George that I printed off of the internet, and did our usual G words, G letter tracing, and G dot markering.

Tuesday we read our own copy of Go, Dog Go!, practiced writing the letter G some more, and then went around the house on a letter G scavenger hunt. The only thing on the list that we didn't have was grapes, but we did manage to find a giraffe (growth chart on the wall), something green, grass, and more!

On Wednesday, we took a field trip to the Statue of Liberty from the New Jersey side, so that didn't really leave us any room to do G work or our last week of Vacation Bible School. But that's okay! Because I just pushed our regularly scheduled activities to days later in the week.



For instance, Thursday we read Giraffes Can't Dance, watched the Animal Dance Song on the Cocomelon YouTube channel, and did a zoo animal sorting and graphing activity provided by our daycare. (Because "graph" starts with the letter "G"!) In the afternoon, we did the Vacation Bible School science experiment - paper airplanes!

We started off Friday with the book Too Much Glue, and then I drew a body outline on a piece of white construction paper and had my daughter use white glue and stick glue to glue random bits and bobs onto the body - like the kid in the book! The night before I cut up construction paper and old newspaper into different shapes and collected a random assortment of stickers and some ribbon for my daughter to use. She liked this activity SO much that she did it THREE times.


Saturday morning we read The Gingerbread Man and did a color-by-number gingerbread man coloring page. I was going to make gingerbread donuts for breakfast, but the night before I discovered that I had just recently used up all our ground ginger, and you kind of need ginger to make gingerbread. Thank goodness for Target drive-up! Saturday afternoon I picked up some ground ginger, along with other things I needed, so we were ready to make gingerbread donuts this morning.

The book for today is Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and for our #sciencesunday activity, I'm going to make goop. I have no idea how well this will go over because my kid tends to not really like super sensory stuff, but we'll see. I have fond memories of my mom making goop for her work stuff. (She worked with kids.)

Tune in next Sunday for our letter M recap! You can bet a trip to McDonald's is in order for letter M week!

Comments