Mommy's Girl

About two or two and a half years ago, I had written a blog post about how my daughter got SO excited whenever Daddy came into the room. How she squealed with delight when I brought her into the bedroom so she could jump on Daddy in bed. How despite being home with her multiple days during the week, she still seemed to prefer Daddy over me.

I was beginning to think that my kid just didn't like me very much.

And then the tide shifted. Oh boy did I get pulled in by the undertow.



That's right. For the past two and a half years, it's been all mommy all the time.

Of course, I didn't and still do not mind getting to snuggle with her or rock her in the rocking chair before bed. If she's upset and needs soothing, she wants me to hug her. And she comes into the bathroom with me when I go potty.

Okay, that last one is kind of annoying.

Yes, there are times when I have to say, “ Mommy is making dinner. Mommy is going to the bathroom. Mommy just needs to do one thing that doesn't involve you! GO TO YOUR FATHER!”

But really, I do love it. When she was younger, I loved seeing her little arms lifted up whenever she wanted me to pick her up. I love the reaction she gives me when I come to pick her up from daycare or her grandparents' house. I love how she wants to crawl all over me just to be near me. Me.

But I especially love it because I know that one day her affections could change again, and she could go back to being a Daddy's Girl. I don't know what she'll be like as a teenager (I was a VERY mild teenage girl, so I hope that I will be as lucky as my mom was), so I better soak up the love while she's still giving it.

Comments