Making Our Own Dole Whips

My family is gearing up for a trip to Disney World in a few weeks. It's been a long time since either my husband or I have been there, but apparently the MUST-HAVE snack is a Dole Whip. I don't like pineapple, so there's no way I'm getting one while we're there, but I did find a recipe for a Strawberry Dole Whip from Six Sisters Stuff that I thought would be the perfect use for my farm-picked strawberries that I froze back in June.



My husband also had the idea to make his own version of the original Dole Whip at home. Seriously, you guys. We did not talk about making homemade Dole Whips. There must have been some indirect ESP or something, or maybe we're both just in Disney World mode. 

Or maybe it's because my husband bought me a new blender and was giving me a hard time because I hadn't used it yet.

The original: frozen pineapple, milk, salt, sugar, lemon juice


I've already said that I don't like pineapple, so the version I made used frozen strawberries, a little bit of pineapple juice, almond milk, and lemon juice. I think I let it freeze for too long and it got too hard. (Had to get the kiddo to bed. Couldn't stop for dessert until after.) I couldn't pipe it out of the freezer bag per the instructions. It didn't thaw very well either. But I ate it anyway.

Strawberry version: frozen strawberries, lemon juice, pineapple juice, almond milk

I have to admit, it was very tart. I feel like it needed some sugar to offset the juices. I like that it's dairy-free and gluten-free, and that I got to use fresh strawberries. But I don't think I would make it again.

My husband really liked his version, and I'm sure he'll be sampling the Disney World version, too. (Our daughter, not so much. But if it's not chicken nuggets, she doesn't want it.)

Have you ever had a Disney World Dole Whip? What other fun snacks should we check out while we're there?

Comments