Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole

Ever since going dairy-free, I've been looking for a breakfast casserole recipe that meets both gluten-free and dairy-free requirements but that also tastes good. A few weeks ago I tried one such recipe, and it really left much to be desired. 

But then I found this Sausage Hash Brown Egg Bake recipe from The Real Food Dietitians and all of my dairy-free dreams came true. The recipe calls for non-dairy milk, so it was easy to sub in my unsweetened original almond milk. And because the recipe is Whole 30-compliant, it doesn't call for cheese. (Although, you could totally add some in, and I do think that shredded cheese would take this meal over the top!)


The hash browns I used were Simply Potatoes, which are gluten-free. My grocery store always carries the Simply Potatoes products in the dairy section. (Why, I don't know. The mashed potatoes contain dairy, but...)

The original recipe called for an onion, which I omitted. And instead of ghee, I just used oil to cook my hash browns. (So maybe, again, not Whole 30?)

But these simple omissions and substitutions still resulted in a very delicious breakfast for dinner. I would totally make this again but maybe cut down on the amount of diced pepper. But that's what's so great about this recipe - you can tailor it to your own needs!

What is your favorite breakfast for dinner recipe? Share in the comments!

Comments