Apple Stamped Canvas Bags - National Craft Month


Today's National Craft Month craft is me doing double duty. I made a craft AND I made a gift for my daughter's preschool teachers at the end of the year. Behold my apple-stamped canvas tote bags!


I saw this idea on Pinterest, but there were no instructions for how to do it. It's pretty self-explanatory, though. All you need are canvas tote bags, fabric markers, paint, and an apple.

1. Cut apple in half.
2. Squirt out paint and dip apple half into the paint.
3. Stamp apple onto canvas tote bag.
4. Let dry.
5. Use the fabric markers to draw stems and leaves on the stamped apples.


When I was doing a little more research on making these, I came across a few websites that said you need to heat-set the paint into the fabric, especially if using acrylic paint like I was. (Michael's didn't have any fabric paint in the colors I wanted.) To heat-set, Martha Stewart recommends placing something like a sheet over the painted spots and ironing them on a medium setting. So that's what I did. One website said to heat-set for 10 seconds, and another said three to five minutes, so I tried to do it for somewhere in between those times.


I found all of my supplies at Michael's, which was awesome. The canvas bags, though not as big as I had hoped, came in a three-pack. So I had a spare bag to practice on before making the "good" ones.


I'm planning on filling these tote bags with some of the teachers' favorite things as a thank-you for teaching my daughter all year. And then ideally, they'll have these tote bags in the preschool's colors (or close to them) to use for their school stuff or whatever they want.

What have you guys been doing that's crafty this month? Do you have any good ideas for teacher gifts? Share in the comments!

Comments