The Adults - Book Review

I was obsessed with Caroline Hulse's The Adults. I couldn't put it down. I wanted to read it during any spare time I had. I even had a dream about it toward the end. I think this may be one of my most favorite books that I've read this year.

The premise is that boyfriend and girlfriend Matt and Alex are going on a Christmas vacation with Claire (Matt's ex), Patrick (Claire's boyfriend), and Scarlett (Matt and Claire's 7-year-old daughter). Sounds like it could be a super awkward time, right? Not unless everybody behaves like adults. Right?

Well, mix in a little paranoia, a little competition, and a lot of an imaginary friend rabbit, and you've got the perfect recipe for a crazy weekend that ends in someone getting shot with an arrow. That's actually where the book stars, and then you're taken back in time to all of the events leading up to that point. Each chapter changes narrator, so sometimes you're seeing things from Alex's perspective and other times it's through Scarlett's.

The whole thing kind of reminded me of Liane Moriarty's Big Little Lies in the way it was told. Which was great! You get the developing story, as well as present-time police interviews with witnesses, and it all helps you to get a clearer picture of what actually happened.

I would definitely recommend this as a book club read! Lots to discuss.

Comments