Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Scones

So we've been eating our way through the Recipes for Gluten-Free Kids cookbook, which is full of gluten-free and some dairy-free recipes. I decided to make the chocolate chip scones recipe, but I had to do a few substitutions in order to make them dairy-free.

Instead of butter, I substituted applesauce. If the recipe calls for one cup of butter, you use half a cup of applesauce. Very easy.

I also used Enjoy Life chocolate chips because they are gluten-free and dairy-free. (And oh so good.)

Instead of regular milk, I used unsweetened almond milk. And instead of regular yogurt, I used Silk Plain Almond Milk Yogurt. (This is the yogurt that is allowing me to eat yogurt again!)

I also subbed in cornstarch for the xanthan gum because my grocery store doesn't carry xanthan gum. And I have gluten-free cornstarch, so...


These turned out well, however, they were a little overdone. That was my fault, as I pre-heated the oven to the wrong temperature to begin with and then baked the scones longer than they really should have baked.

But I will definitely make them again. They are a great breakfast, snack, or dessert. I even drizzled melted Enjoy Life chocolate chips on top!

Comments