BookExpo Books My Mom Would Have Liked

When I was at BookExpo 2018 at the beginning of June, I saw a lot of books that my mom would have definitely been interested in reading had she been alive.

1. Kate Morton - The Clockmaker's Daughter (Atria Books)
Kate Morton was one of my mom's favorite authors. My mom would be happy to know that Morton has a new book coming out this fall, and I got an autographed copy of it! (It was the longest autograph line I was in all day.) I would totally have let my mom borrow it when I was done. This intergenerational book has a love affair and a murder, and it sounds really interesting.

2. Charles Portis - True Grit 50th Anniversary Edition (Overlook Press)
This book would have made a great birthday gift for my mom because she loved the movie. I'm not sure if she ever read the book, but at least having the anniversary edition of it would have been something nice to add to her small collection.

3. Kelsey Miller - I'll Be There For You: The One About Friends (Hanover Square Press)
I had really hoped there were ARCs of this book available at the Book Group Speed Dating event I attended, but I didn't see any. But this book looked interesting for fans of the TV show Friends, and that group of fans included my mom. She was obsessed! The book, which comes out on October 23, celebrates the show through interviews, history, and behind-the-scenes anecdotes.

4. Sarah McCoy - Marilla of Green Gables (William Morrow)
My mom was also obsessed with the Anne of Green Gables books. We even went to Prince Edward Island and toured the Anne of Green Gables site. This book, which comes out in October, tells the story of life at Green Gables before Anne. I know my mom would have really enjoyed this one.

5. Hazel Gaynor - The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter (William Morrow Paperbacks)
My mom had a special place in her heart for books about lighthouses. One time, my mom and I were touring a lighthouse, and my mom started telling the tour guide lighthouse facts because she had read The Light Between Oceans or something and knew all this stuff about lighthouses because of it. This book, which comes out in paperback at the beginning of October, is a historical novel inspired by true events about female lighthouse keepers.

Stay tuned to the blog because I'll have more BookExpo recaps coming up!

Comments