Homemade Frisco Melts

If you don't live near a Steak 'n' Shake, then I am very sorry. You don't know the goodness that is a Frisco Melt. (Your arteries are probably thanking you.)

I don't live near a Steak 'n' Shake anymore either, unless you count the strange upscale Steak 'n' Shake in New York City, but I'm not commuting into Manhattan for a Steak 'n' Shake experience. I don't even think the menu is the same.


Anywho.

I've had this recipe for homemade Frisco Melts pinned to my Recipes/Food Pinterest board for FOREVER, and several weeks ago I finally decided to make it. It comes from Ali at Jam Hands. Thank you, Ali!

So basically, it's toasted sourdough bread (or gluten-free bread), a combination of Thousand Island and Russian Dressing (which I always kind of thought were the same but whatever) and two types of cheese. And you cook the burger patties in a skillet and flatten those babies. That's the signature style of Steak 'n' Shake.


The baby didn't really like these, and I can't speak for my husband who had to eat his on gluten-free bread, but for me, these really did taste like the real thing. Sure, my kitchen got really smoky from cooking the burger patties on the stove, so that wasn't super fun. (If I remember correctly, the smoke alarm went off. At least I know that works.) But it was worth it to have a little taste of home.

Comments