Top 10 Pasta Recipes - UPDATED!

Back in 2015,  I blogged about our top 10 favorite pasta recipes. Well, that was then, and this is now. NOW if we make any of those pasta recipes, we have to make them dairy-free pasta recipes. And with tomorrow being National Pasta Day, I thought I'd re-share this updated list of pasta favorites with notes on how we make the recipes gluten-free and dairy-free.


1. Spaghetti and Meatballs 

Yep, this one is always a winner, and I'm sure you probably have your own favorite spaghetti and meatballs recipe. Back in 2015, I was making Real Simple's Easy Meatballs

Gluten-free sub: use gluten-free bread or bread crumbs

Dairy-free sub: use a dairy-free milk alternative (or lactose-free milk, if you're only lactose-intolerant)

2. Penne with Ricotta Cheese and Greens

I actually gave up making this one for the longest time, only to bring it back into our rotation the other night thanks to Galbani Lactose-Free Ricotta Cheese! Of course, there are dairy-free/vegan ricotta cheese brands, and you could easily use those. They just tend to be rather expensive.

Gluten-free sub: use gluten-free penne or rotini

Dairy-free sub: use dairy-free or lactose-free ricotta cheese and vegan parmesan cheese

3. Mom's Lasagna

This is another one I thought I'd have to give up after going lactose-free/dairy-free. I have just read that Miyoko's Creamery is debuting a vegan cottage cheese in early 2023, so that's something to look out for if you want to make this recipe fully dairy-free. As it is, I can only make it lactose-free with the following subs.

Gluten-free sub: use gluten-free no boil lasagna noodles (we like Jovial Foods)

Lactose-free sub: use Lactaid brand cottage cheese, dairy-free parmesan cheese, and dairy-free shredded mozzarella

4. Pepper Jack Cheesy Mac

I LOVED this recipe, but unfortunately, it requires evaporated milk, so this one is a no-go for us.

5. Italian Bean and Pasta Soup

This is such an easy pasta recipe that I don't make as much as I should. Could be good for lunch or dinner!

Gluten-free sub: use gluten-free pasta and chicken broth

Dairy-free sub: use dairy-free parmesan cheese

6. Lemony Fusili with Chicken, Zucchini, and Pine Nuts

This is a delicious healthy pasta recipe! I'm pretty sure it's kiddo-approved, too. I only use one zucchini because I don't really like it that much, and I don't think it holds up well for leftovers.

Gluten-free sub: use gluten-free pasta

Dairy-free sub: use dairy-free parmesan cheese

7. Sausage Alfredo

This is a hearty pasta recipe! I have been able to make it dairy-free before, but the dairy-free heavy cream I had been purchasing is no longer sold at my local grocery store. Now, why would they do that?? But I know that it's possible to enjoy this gluten-free and dairy-free.

Gluten-free sub: use gluten-free pasta

Dairy-free sub: use dairy-free heavy cream (Silk brand) and dairy-free parmesan cheese

8. Fettucine Alfredo

I purchased a jar of vegan alfredo sauce from Target the other month because I was jonesing for fettuccine alfredo. It was ... okay. I totally forgot about this alfredo sauce recipe from Chef Rocco DiSpirito that would be so easy to make gluten-free and dairy-free.

Gluten-free sub: use gluten-free fettuccine (or spaghetti) and gluten-free chicken broth

Dairy-free sub: use plant-based butter, dairy-free parmesan cheese, and dairy-free plain Greek yogurt 

9. Pasta Carbonara

We used to make this pasta recipe all. the. time. Why did I stop making it? I don't know! Look how easy it is to turn this regular pasta recipe into a gluten-free and dairy-free one!

Gluten-free sub: use gluten-free fettuccine or spaghetti 

Dairy-free sub: use dairy-free parmesan cheese

10. Any Pasta with Sauce

Yep, sometimes we go the super easy route and make any type of gluten-free pasta (elbows, penne, rotini) and pour pasta sauce on top. This is an easy pasta recipe for those busy weeknights, and BONUS, it is something that my husband can make.

Comments