Kid's Craft Station Ideas

If you're a working mom like me, the COVID-19 pandemic totally changed your day-to-day work structure. You might now find yourself primarily working from home, while also caring for a child or two.

Sometimes I resort to the TV as babysitter. (Check out my favorite YouTube channels for kids post.) But other times, I just want my kiddo to play independently, so setting up an organized kid's craft station makes it easier for her to access the supplies she needs while engaging her in some creative, quiet play.


So how do you go about setting up a kid's craft station? Pinterest is a great place to find kids' craft station ideas. I was inspired by this Pinterest picture from Joann to create my own. Here are some tips for how to set up a craft station.

Take Inventory

The first thing you want to do is take inventory. So in my child's craft stash, we have:

  1. dot markers
  2. crayons
  3. paintbrushes
  4. paint
  5. construction paper
  6. glue (liquid/stick)
  7. markers
  8. coloring books/coloring pages
  9. popsicle sticks
  10. stickers
I have a few other craft supplies in my stash (googly eyes, ribbon) that I can get out as needed. But what I'm trying to create here is an organized stash of her most-used go-to's so that it's easy for her to get creative on her own.

Choose Your Storage Containers


With that in mind, now think of what kind of vessels will best corral the supplies. I like the idea of using hanging file folder baskets to keep coloring books in place instead of spilling out of a bin and onto the floor (as ours used to do). I purchased these IKEA hanging trash bins for our coloring book and construction paper storage! (Although, using nails to hang them on the wall is a must!) And this 10-piece storage basket set from Bed Bath & Beyond actually solved a lot of our craft supply storage problems! 

I purchased some small white party buckets from Oriental Trading Company to hold the crayons and repurposed some mason jars in my pantry for the paintbrushes, kid scissors, and markers. I also love this Buzzfeed idea to recycle metal cans and create your own art/school supplies caddy!



Putting something like crayons into a smaller container is a great way to go minimal. If your house is anything like mine, there's a giant bin full of crayons. Do we really need to have access to all these crayons at once? So making your own kid's art station is a great way to pare down the supplies you have.

Where to Buy


Making a kid's craft station doesn't have to be expensive. You might be able to find what you need at your local dollar store! Target and The Container Store sell organizational products that might suit your needs. As noted above, I found storage solutions at Bed Bath & Beyond and Ikea. But don't forget about office supply stores. What might work for pen organization could also work for kids' art storage.

Keeping It All Together


Keep all of these containers together in one easy-to-reach place. A decorative and non-breakable tray or bin with handles makes it easy for young kids to lift on their own. You can place the tray on a storage shelf and have kids pull it down whenever they want to create, or you can simply leave the tray out on an art table or desk, as I'm doing. 



I hope these craft station ideas were helpful to you in both figuring out better kid's craft storage methods and creating a ready-to-go kid's craft table. An arts and crafts station is so helpful to have, especially during the winter months when kids are cooped up indoors due to the weather.

How do you store and organize your art supplies? Share your favorite art station ideas in the comments!

Comments

Post a Comment