This Time Next Year We'll Be Laughing Book Review

I've never read any of Jacqueline Winspear's fiction, but something about the pitch of her memoir This Time Next Year We'll Be Laughing during BookExpo really intrigued me. What a story! And it's not only the story of Jacqueline's girlhood years, but also the story of her parents. I loved that she started with her parents because I think that so much of what Jacqueline experienced growing up was a direct result of the experiences her parents had when they were children and young adults. And how wonderful that Jacqueline knows her parents' stories because so many of us don't often get that chance.


I often wonder when I read memoirs like this one if I would have anything as interesting to write about should I ever write a memoir. Jacqueline lived such an interesting life, one that is different to me not only because her formative years took place during the 50s, 60s, and 70s, but also because she grew up in a different country. And it's so interesting how different things were for those living in England as compared to what I know of my parents growing up in the U.S. 

I think this book would be a great book club read, maybe if you did some sort of double feature: one month read one of Winspear's novels and the next month read her memoir. 

This Time Next Year We'll Be Laughing is published by Soho Press and is on bookstore shelves today.

Comments