Teach Kids How to Draw a Person's Face

I have a kid who always wants to know how to draw things. She's not really able to draw what she wants herself - or at least her attempts are not to her liking. So she makes me draw them. I've drawn Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Jesse from Toy Story, and Zero from The Nightmare Before Christmas. I'm not a professional artist by any means, but I can make a pretty decent approximation of a person's face thanks to some drawing tips that my mom gave me.

For more tips on teaching kids young and old to draw, check out my post on the Zulily blog.



It all starts with a U shape for the head. Of course, a face can also be heart-shaped, circular, or square. This is a great opportunity to show little kids that not everyone looks the same - and that is okay!



Next, you add two small ovals for the eyes. Within those ovals, I always draw two parentheses and then a circle within the parentheses. The circle is the black part of the eye, and then you can color in the eye color on either side.



Noses can be hard, but you can think of it as drawing half a triangle. Maybe it's half of an isosceles triangle. Maybe one side is slightly curved. It all depends on who you are drawing and what you want your person's nose to look like.



If you're drawing a female face, the mouth could be a small heart for the classic Cupid's bow lips. Or draw a straight line with a wide U underneath to make a big grin.


Hair is just long lines: straight, curved, or wiggly coming out from the top of the head.



Those are the basics. Are you and your kid going to be receiving commissions to draw portraits? Probably not. But I think these steps are easy enough for a kid to do. I think I was about 9 when my mom showed me how to draw a face. It will be fun for kids to experiment with drawing their favorite characters, their imagined characters, their friends, themselves, or whoever they want to draw.

Comments