My Favorite Easy Homemade Halloween Costumes

Just last week we bought my daughter's Halloween costume. One full week into October isn't too bad for buying a Halloween costume, right? I usually give my kid a deadline for choosing what she wants to be. After that point, no changes! Last year's deadline was the middle of September because we put the costume together from scratch. This year, I was a bit lax because she wanted a pre-made character costume.

Don't have your Halloween costume yet? Have no fear! You can still dress up and look super cool using items you already have at home. Your closet will be your best friend when making your own easy Halloween costumes.


Even as far back as high school, I was making my own quick and easy Halloween costumes. To dress as Baby Spice from the Spice Girls, I wore a school dance dress with tights and platform sneakers, pulled my hair up into pigtails, and adhered sparkly paper letters to the dress to spell "Baby", based on an outfit that Emma Bunton had actually worn. 

I mean, you don't have to dress up as a Spice Girl, but maybe there's another celebrity you can emulate via simple Halloween costume by using pieces from your closet.


Another year, also in high school, I dressed up as a punk rocker. I made a guitar out of a cereal box and rubber bands. I bedazzled a shirt in studs with the word "PUNK" and wore my cropped cargo pants and sneakers.

Okay, so probably more pop-punk than true punk, but you get the idea. And the only thing I had to buy was a box of cereal and some studs.


In college, I went to a Halloween costume party with a friend dressed in my senior year prom dress. Hey, how many people can say they've worn their prom dress more than once? I paired the dress with a Burger King crown, and voila! I was a princess. (I think specifically I was the Princess of Sweden.)

Thrift stores are also a great source of inexpensive Halloween costume materials if you just can't find what you're looking for at home. You might have to keep an open mind and let the store inventory speak to you. One year I grabbed a bunch of random stuff (plaid skirt, sparkly top, furry shrug) from my college town's thrift store, teased out my hair, slapped a "Hello My Name Is" name tag on my chest, and I was Marla Singer for Halloween.

See? Easy! Proof that you can find cheap, easy Halloween costumes by simply making them yourself!

Need some other ideas for easy homemade Halloween costumes? I'm sharing even more tips and ideas on the Zulily blog! Check it out and then shop the Zulily Halloween shop for costumes and accessories at great prices.

Comments