Alphabet Summer Letter R Week Recap

By request (an R word!), this week our alphabet focus was on the letter R. It was kind of a weird week because we took a mini beach vacation in the middle of it, but I still managed to prep a whole week's worth of Kid School fun!

And you can find your own fun in my Kid School and Alphabet Summer Pinterest boards! Make sure to subscribe.

The week started out normal with our letter R tracing, dot marker worksheet, and coming up with R words. We read the book Red Riding Hood and played a Roll & Cross Math Game. She loved tossing the big dice in the air.

We didn't have much time on Tuesday to do our kid school, what with driving down to the shore, taking a nap, and getting ice cream. I did let her do a letter of the day worksheet in the car, but all she wanted to do was color in the picture of the raccoon. 

So Wednesday morning we read Rain, made a letter R rain cloud, and colored an Eat the Rainbow coloring page. These activities were pretty prescient because later that morning, we had to shelter in the laundry room while a severe thunderstorm and tornado went through the town. So that was fun...

Needless to say, the rest of the day was cloudy and gray, so we stayed in and did a letter R scavenger hunt, which could have gone on longer. My daughter really enjoyed running around the house trying to find things that started with the letter R. What she didn't enjoy was a rainbow number puzzle that I printed out. I'll save it for another time.

We didn't read a book Thursday morning, but I did try to get my daughter interested in a Roll a Task Brain Break using the big dice I made for the math game earlier in the week. But all she wanted to do was set up the pool on the deck (an activity that took longer to set up than do...). This "brain break" activity will be another one that I'll keep in my back pocket for another time.

Friday's plan was rocket-themed. We read How Rocket Learned to Read (about a dog, not a rocket ship), made a Rocket Name Craft, colored in a rocket coloring page, and used straws to launch our own paper rockets.

Saturday's theme was race. We read a book from our own home library, Race, and did a race car craft and alphabet relay race.

And today we're finishing off the week with robots. We're reading the book Robots, Robots Everywhere, and I've printed out a robot workbook, a robot coloring page, and a robot matching game. I also cut up some construction paper in different shapes so that my daughter can glue the pieces together to make her own robot

That's a lot of stuff for this week! We'll see if I can keep up the momentum for next week's letter. What do you think that letter should be?

Comments