Jesus Calling: Receiving Christ's Hope - Book Review

A friend and I started reading the Jesus Calling: Receiving Christ's Hope Bible study in January, and we were slowly making our way through discussing it when COVID-19 changed our weekly conversations, or in some cases, stopped them altogether. The book takes parts of Sarah Young's Jesus Calling and incorporates discussion questions from Karen-Lee Thorp.

For a $5 Costco find, this book was pretty good. I liked that it got me thinking about hope from a spiritual standpoint. When I hope in God, I have faith that His word is coming true. When I have secular hope, I'm just wishing for something to come true, even though it probably won't. (Winning the lottery...)

The thing I didn't like about this Bible study was the feeling of taking a test - like there were right answers. Our books actually had a Leader's Guide in the back with answers to the questions! So if I ever got stumped, I just looked up what the "correct" response was supposed to be.

The last two "sessions" of the study, as they're called, were pretty relevant to this crazy time we're experiencing now, so it was good to read about how God gives us strength and perseverance through hard times.

I wasn't super fond of reading about death and eternal life, topics in the middle of the study. I realize that the afterlife in Heaven is a positive thing and the hope we have to look forward to, but I'm not eager to die any time soon.

Jesus Calling: Receiving Christ's Hope is published by Thomas Nelson and is available on bookstore shelves. 

Comments