Alphabet Summer Kid School Letter P Week Recap

Our first week of Alphabet Summer Kid School was a success! The focus this week was on the letter P.

What did we do? We started the week on Monday with a focus on letters in general. While doing our morning activity, we read the Dr. Seuss book ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book.



The morning activity consisted of three parts: dry-erase letter P tracing, crayon-resist letters, and circle sticker name tracing.

These activities were really easy because I had a Frozen-themed dry-erase letter pad, watercolors, a white crayon, circle stickers, and construction paper. Voila!

On Tuesday, we started focusing on only the letter P. Our book that morning came from our home library: Curious George at the Zoo, in which George meets a penguin and a panda, both of which start with the letter P.



While using our dry-erase pad to trace the letter P, we came up with words that started with the letter P. (Thanks to my sister-in-law for that idea.) I wrote down the words on a pink piece of construction paper.

I also printed out some free alphabet dot marker art printables for the whole alphabet, so we worked on the letter P worksheet, using our new dot markers to find all the Ps.

Not all of the activities went over as well. I tried a penguin activity on Wednesday, which my daughter was really excited about, but when it came time to actually put it all together, she was not interested.

And a straw painting peacock activity was a little too difficult for her. (But it's something I want to try on my scrapbook layouts sometime!)

We also did a yarn shoelace stringing activity to go along with the Pete the Cat book I Love My White Shoes (ya know, because Pete starts with the letter P). My daughter would only string the yarn through one construction paper shoe, and she didn't want to decorate them at all.

What are ya gonna do?



Thursdays theme was popsicles, so after watching a children's book on YouTube about the inventor of the popsicle (which I found interesting but was a little too long for my kid), we made our own Kool-Aid popsicles!

We also did a free popsicle dot marker printable! I had another activity planned, but my daughter said she didn't want to do it.



Friday was our pizza day. In the morning, we watched the book Hi, Pizza Man on YouTube and made paper plate pizzas, and then we had pizza for lunch. I just bought frozen pizza from the grocery store, and my daughter was kind of disappointed that it wasn't take-out.



Saturday didn't have a specific theme, aside from P stuff. We tried puffy paint ice cream with homemade shaving cream puff paint and did a pumpkin dot art picture. (Dot markers a big thing for us right now.)

And to go with the pumpkin picture, we made pumpkin snacks out of orange-colored frosting and graham crackers, plus read the book Spookley the Square Pumpkin on YouTube. (The movie version is on Netflix!)



And today, we made pancakes for breakfast, read If You Give a Pig a Pancake from our home library, put together a puzzle, and made a panda bear paper bug puppet.

PHEW!

So that was a lot of P activities, and there are so many more things you can do and books you can read. Thanks to all the mom bloggers and educators out there who have made their ideas available for the rest of us on Pinterest. Check out my Alphabet Summer Pinterest board for more letter ideas, as well as my Kid School board for general activities that might go with whatever letter you're working on!

Comments