6 Books That Will Make Mom Cry

When I was a kid, there were books that my mom could not get through without crying (Love You Forever, The Gift of the Magi), and I used to tease her about it!

Now that I'm an adult and a mom, some of those same books are hard for me to read without getting teary. It's taken a lot of strength to be able to finish this group of books without my voice quavering, so fair warning to all you new moms out there or any mom who might be receiving one of these books or who might be considering purchasing one.



1. Before You by Rebecca Doughty
This is such a sweet book that my mom actually gave the baby for Valentine's Day. It's all about the things the storyteller was missing until “you” came along. (Example: “I was a polka with no dot.”) The last line of “What took you so long?” might have special meaning to those whose journey to motherhood didn't happen right away.

2. On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman
There is a reason why this book is a bestseller. It's a sweet book with gorgeous pictures that celebrates each individual child and lets them know that they are loved. It took me a long time to be able to get through this one without crying.

3. If I Could Keep You Little by Marianne Richmond
We received this book as a gift, and I remember bringing it home after being away from the baby all day (my first time!!), and I decided to read her the book in front of my husband. Well, I didn't know the content of the book before I started reading, and I ended up doing my best to stifle the sobs. I no longer sob while reading it, and it's one that I like to break out for bedtime every now and then.

4. Magic Dragon Dust by Jamie Argenziano
My husband knows the author of this book, which is how it made its way onto our bookshelf. For the longest time, I could NOT stop the tears! The story is all about a little dragon who is used to spending all his time with his mom, but it's time for the little dragon to start school and the mom to go back to work. The little dragon is a little afraid to start school, but his mom tells him she'll give him special magic dust to help him feel brave. I won't spoil the rest of the story for you, so just keep a box of tissues nearby when reading.

5. Love You Forever by Robert Munsch
I remember my mom reading this book to me when I was a kid, and my mom could NEVER get through it without crying. As a kid, I had no idea what the big deal was because, of course, I was a kid. So I always give it as a baby shower book with a note inside to the new baby that even though he or she might not understand why it makes Mommy cry now, one day he or she will understand. (I certainly do now!)

If you don't know (and how could you not), it's a story about a mother taking care of her son from birth to adulthood, and then that grown son taking care of his aging mother.

I bought this one for my daughter for Valentine's Day a couple years ago, and it still gets me every time at the end.

6. My Wish for You by Kathryn Hahn

What an amazing book for little girls! I received an autographed copy of the book at BookCon 2019 (and I met Kathryn Hahn!!), and when I brought it home to read to my daughter, oh boy. The tears were flowing. It's just such a sweet story about what the author/mom wishes for her daughter - be brave, don't be afraid of your feelings, get back up when you fall, take time for you, etc. The illustrations by Brigette Barrager are equally charming. I hope this one remains a staple on our bookshelf for a long time.

Are there any children's books that make you cry? Let us know so we can prepare!

Comments