The Memory Book - Book Review

Dealing with the loss of a loved one is difficult, especially for kids who don't always understand what has happened. If you've heard of or read The Memory Box: A Book About Grief by Joanna Rowland, then you'll be pleased that the author has just come out with The Memory Book: A Grief Journal for Children and Families. Both books feature beautiful illustrations by Thea Baker.


Expanding on the concept of The Memory Box (in which a child fills a box with things that remind her of her lost loved one), The Memory Book takes the questions, worries, and wishes from The Memory Box text and provides space for kids and families to write their own responses.

For instance, one part of the original book says, "Sometimes, I wonder what happens to your love now that you're gone? Did it die too? Because I'm scared I'll forget you." And in the journal, there's space for kids to write what they wonder, what they fear, and what they hope.

This journal makes a great addition to the memory box idea, giving kids yet another way to cope with their grief and express their emotions.


These books are recommended for ages 3 to 8, but as I was reading through the journal, I thought how much a book like this could have helped me process the loss of my mother as a 33-year-old adult! These books are great for young kids but just as good for the parents.

My daughter was only 15 months when my mom passed away, and she doesn't have many memories of my mom, so books like this aren't super helpful to her right now. However, as she gets a little older and has questions about what happened to Grandma, I think reading The Memory Box could be a good way to explain to her what happened and help tell my mom's story. And, God forbid, we do experience another loss in the family, I'll have both of these books to help her out.

The Memory Box and The Memory Book are published by Sparkhouse Family, an imprint Beaming Books, and are on bookstore shelves now. I received free review copies.

Comments