Best Books to Read for Earth Day

We may all be stuck at home right now with our typical plans for Easter being postponed or rearranged. But one holiday that you can still celebrate at home is Earth Day on April 22. As spring weather gets nicer, it's the perfect opportunity to take family walks outside and explore nature, if you haven't already been doing that this quarantine.

If the days are rainy, curl up on the couch with a good book, perhaps one of these picks that will shed some light on the climate change crisis our Earth is still facing. (Especially with America's Environmental Protection Agency requirements being waived during the Coronavirus pandemic.)



For Adults
Garbology: Our Dirty Love Affair with Trash by Edward Humes
I first read this book back in 2016. It was so good! I gave it 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. I didn't write a specific review of it, unfortunately, but the statistics in the book are eye-opening. Of course, this book was first published in 2012, so I wonder how much worse things have gotten since then?

The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert
I read this book as part of my climate change research month. Got a lot of good ideas from this book AND learned a lot. I thought Kolbert did a good job of making everything accessible to regular-Joe readers like myself. This book also got 5 stars from me on Goodreads.

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
What does a book about food have to do with saving the planet? EVERYTHING. The chapter on corn inspired a ranting blog post right here on Cook Scrap Craft! I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads, which seems kind of low considering the fact that I ended up buying the book, and I don't do that for just any book!

This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate by Naomi Klein
I think this book sheds a lot of light on one of the main issues affecting the world's ability to do anything about climate change: capitalism. There is a notion, especially in the political climate of the United States, that money is more important than people. Well, to what extent? I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

For Kids
The Omnivore's Dilemma Young Reader's Edition by Michael Pollan
My husband's middle school classes have read this book for summer reading, so if you have older kids, they could read The Omnivore's Dilemma right along with you. Like a family book club!

The Magical Bird Beach of Long Island by Vicki Jauron
For younger kids, this picture book uses visually appealing photography of real birds and fun-to-read rhyming prose to provide an opportunity for parents to discuss the responsibility we all share for protecting our environment.   


It's Earth Day by Mercer Mayer
We checked this book out at the library last year, and it was really cute. After learning about climate change at school, Little Critter encourages his friends and family to reduce, reuse, and recycle.

Old Manhattan Has Some Farms: E-I-E-I-Grow! by Susan Lendroth
This was another book we got from our library last year. If you are a city dweller or live near a city, it will be fun to see how a city grows its food, from rooftop gardens in Manhattan to hydroponic gardens in Seattle. No matter where you are, you can grow food!

What are some of your favorite books for Earth Day? Share them below!

Comments