April Kid School - Rain Theme

My theme for this month's Kid School is RAIN. You know, April showers bring May flowers? (I bet you can guess what my plan is for May...)

This month's kid school is going to be SUPER hard. As you know, every month I've been trying to come up with books and activities around a central theme to give us things to do on the weekdays that I'm home with my daughter.

But thanks to Coronavirus, I'm home EVERY DAY with my daughter, so I'll need lots more activities (and supplies). And the library is closed so I won't be able to pick up physical books for us to read.

So what are my solutions?



For the book portion of our days, I decided to turn to books read aloud on YouTube. There are lots of channels of librarians and book lovers reading children's books. The list of books (with links) that I compiled is:

One Rainy Day by M. Christina Butler

Otto's Rainy Day by Natasha Yim

The Cloud Book by Tomie dePaolo

Just a Rainy Day by Mercer Mayer

We Play On a Rainy Day by Angela Shelf Medearis

The Rain Came Down by David Shannon

Splat the Cat: Rain is a Pain by Rob Scotton

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett (We could even watch the movie one day!)

Curious George: Rain or Shine by H.A. Rey

The Rainy Day by Anna Milbourne

As for activities, I've got those compiled in my April Kid School - Rain Pinterest board. But some of the ones I think we'll be able to do with the craft supplies I have on hand are:

Hanging Rain Clouds with construction paper and cotton balls

Rain Sensory Bottle

Preschool Rain Cloud Name Craft

Ink Blot Cloud Shapes

Paper Plate Rainbow

Tot School Umbrella Bean Bag Toss (We don't have bean bags, so we'll probably use the balls from our ball pit)

Tot School Puddle Jumping

Rainbow Name Activity

Rainbow Name Activity Part 2

Cotton Ball Clouds

I will have to try and make a Target run to get supplies for some of these activities. Let's hope that what I need is eligible for drive-up!

I usually like to make a themed snack, but I just can't think of anything for the rain theme. Especially with grocery store shelves being as bare as they are right now, I also don't know how well I could plan ahead for making something. So we'll just stick with our normal snacks of animal crackers, fruit snacks, and chocolate bunnies.

Do you have any other ideas for this month's theme? What are you doing right now with your little ones?

Stay safe!

Comments