Motherest - Book Review

When Agnes goes off to college, her mother goes...off...somewhere. Through a series of letters, Agnes writes to her mother all the things going on in her life and asks her mother where she is and why she left. And then, Agnes finds out that she's pregnant, and she has to come to terms with what kind of mother she wants to be.

I felt so bad for Agnes. As someone whose mom is no longer around (although, I wish my mom was just off on a sabbatical and not dead), I could totally feel for Agnes as she struggled with knowing what to do as a pregnant woman. These are the times in our lives when we really need our moms.

Also, I liked that Agnes writes letters to her mom even though she doesn't send them because she doesn't know where her mom is. I've often thought about writing letters to my mom, even though I know she'll never read them.

Another thing that struck me about this book was the father-daughter dynamic. When it's just Agnes and her dad... That reminded me so much of my relationship with my own dad.

I think I liked this book as much as I did because I could personally feel a connection to it. I'm not sure if it's a book that will appeal to everyone. I have to admit, I wasn't sure if I would like the writing style, going back and forth between Agnes narrating what was happening and Agnes writing a letter about what happened. But like I said, I really felt for the main character.

Motherest is published by Twelve and is on bookstore shelves now. I purchased the book at DollarTree.

Comments