Kid-Friendly Food We've Been Eating

In an effort to declutter my cookbook shelf, I've decided to try and cook my way through each cookbook, finding recipes that work for us (or at least for me) before passing on the cookbooks to someone else who might want/need them.

Back when my kid was just a baby, I reviewed the book The Pediatrician's Guide to Feeding Babies & Toddlers. (Long title, I know.) I really enjoyed the guidance it gave me, and I had tried a few of the recipes with my family, like Pulled Apricot-Raisin Chicken. (My daughter did not like that one.) It had been awhile since I gave some of the recipes another shot, even though my daughter is a preschooler and not a baby or toddler. She's still a picky eater.


So the first recipe we tried was Chicken-Vegetable Meatballs with rice. These were made from ground chicken, bell peppers, and other yummy ingredients. They have a bit of a sweet and sour flavor to them, which I really liked. My husband liked them, too. They were great as leftovers. 


Did my daughter eat them? No.

So the second thing we tried was Chicken Chili. This chili is loaded with protein and veggies: ground chicken, spinach, beans, tomatoes, and brown rice. For some reason, my daughter refuses chili. But my husband and I both enjoyed this the night I made it and as leftovers for lunch during the week.


What I like about these recipes is that they're healthy. I feel like I'm feeding my family something nutritious and delicious. And these recipes were naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, so I didn't have to do anything differently to make them safe for me and my husband.

I would definitely make these recipes again, and maybe some day my child will actually take more than one bite of them. What's the saying? Kids have to try something 10 times before they like it? I'm not sure if that applies to my kid.

Do you think your kids would like any of these recipes? What types of foods do your kids like? I'm probably going to pass this cookbook on, especially because it has information on food for babies, and I'm past the baby stage. So if you're interested in taking it off my hands, let me know! Otherwise, to the tiny library it goes!

Comments