The Weirdest Pregnancy Symptom Ever

When I first found out I was pregnant, I ordered the pregnancy "Bible" What to Expect When You're Expecting. I read that thing cover to cover, even the scary stuff in the back of the book. That part of the book covered a lot of very rare stuff, so I figured I wouldn't need to pay too close attention because the chances of it happening to me were slim.

But wouldn't you know it, I fit into those slim margins of pregnant women for quite a few things.



One of the not-so-scary but still super annoying and weird things that happened while I was pregnant was a varicose vein. 

In the “Second Month” chapter of What to Expect, there's a frequently asked question about varicose veins. If you're like me, you assume that varicose veins happen in your legs. And you probably know the ways to prevent varicose veins while pregnant, such as not sitting or standing too long, not doing any heavy lifting, getting enough exercise, watching your weight, etc.

But did any of you read the next question in that chapter?



When I was in my fifth month of pregnancy, I felt a small bump on my lady parts. I assumed it was an in-grown hair and figured it would go away on its own.

But it didn't. And it wouldn't have been such a big deal except it was getting uncomfortable. So I went to my OBGYN and had her look at it.

“Put a warm washcloth on it,” she advised. “That will help it go down.”

Well, the only thing that did was make my pants and underwear wet.

So after about a month of that, I finally called my dermatologist thinking that she could remove the in-grown hair, if necessary. But I couldn't get an appointment with my regular dermatologist because, apparently, she only does yearly mole checks (for me) and Botox (for everyone else). But the other doctor in the practice was available!

And he was male.

I'm not against male doctors, but I tend to like female doctors, especially if they're going to view my lady parts. I figured that my lady parts were going to be on display pretty soon anyway during childbirth, so I might as well get used to a stranger (male or female) checking them out now. I made the appointment.

I left work early and rushed over to the dermatologist's office. I was so excited that this thing would finally get taken care of. But after examining me, the doctor said, “There's nothing I can do for you.”

That's not what I wanted to hear!

“It's not an in-grown hair,” he said. “It's a cluster of blood vessels. It's like having a varicose vein on your leg, only it's not on your leg.”

Yes, ladies, I ended up with a varicose vein on my lady parts!!!



According to What to Expect, “Varicose veins can also appear in the genital area (and in the rectum, where they're called hemorrhoids), for the same reason you might get them in your legs” (p. 158).

The dermatologist told me that he couldn't surgically remove the bump because I was pregnant, but it would go away on its own once I was done being pregnant. (If it wasn't gone three months post-partum, then I was to go back in to have it removed.)

“The good news,” the doctor said, checking out my very pregnant belly, “is that you don't have long to go.”

Thankfully, the bump did go away on its own and even before I gave birth. I think the pressure of my too-small underwear (do they even make pregnancy underwear??) due to my super enlarged pregnant belly acted like compression hose. So it all worked out in the end.

I don't know the statistics of how many women are affected by genital varicose veins, but it has to be enough that it warranted a section in What to Expect. So if you're pregnant or planning on getting pregnant, keep that book near you because you never know when you're going to have to look up crazy stuff like that.

What weird stuff happened to you while you were pregnant?

Comments