Worst Books of 2019

I read a lot of great books this year, but there were a few that just didn't do it for me. I finished them, but it was sometimes painful. So here are the three books that I read this year that were really disappointing:



1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler
I had high hopes for this one because of all the buzz surrounding it when it first came out. Maybe all the hype made me expect more from the novel. But it was not what I was expecting and not in a good way. I found the main character annoying and like she wasn't written in a way that I really got to know her. I read some of the reviews on GoodReads, and it seems like people either loved the book or hated it. I'm on the "hating" camp.

2. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I really wasn't into The Little Prince. I know this book is like a classic or something, but this wasn't my cup of tea. I read it because I couldn't remember reading it as a kid, and I probably didn't remember it because it was so bad.

3. A Practical Education by Randall Stross
This book was so disappointing! I picked it up at a past BookCon and was really looking forward to reading it, as a liberal arts major. But I had so many issues with the book. It felt like it was only written for recruiters and people in the tech industry. Not totally sure that anybody in the book got their jobs because of their liberal arts background or their networking connections.

Comments