Gluten-Free Pasta with Asparagus and Artichoke Hearts

A long time ago, we got a cookbook for Christmas, and for the life of me I cannot remember its name! But it was full of easy and fast recipes, perfect for weeknight dinners. Unfortunately, once my husband got diagnosed with Celiac disease, we were no longer able to make a lot of those recipes. I made copies of the recipes that we could make or ones that I thought we'd still be able to make, and then donated the cookbook. One of the recipes I saved was Fusilli with Asparagus and Artichoke Hearts.

This one was really easy to make gluten-free and dairy-free, and I'm glad that I finally got around to making this recipe. Here's what I had to do to adapt this recipe for my family.


Ingredients:
box of gluten-free rotini (I think the box we used was 12 ounces)
GoVeggie "Parmesan" cheese
1 pound asparagus
1/4 pound of thin-sliced deli salami (Make sure your brand is gluten-free)
1 14-ounce can of artichoke hearts
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (You can add more, but a little of this goes a long way)
3 tbsp. bottled lemon juice
2 tsp. minced garlic
Parsley (optional)

Directions:
1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain.
2. Wash, drain, and cut up the asparagus, artichoke hearts, and salami.
3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the asparagus, garlic, red pepper flakes, and black pepper, and cook for about five minutes. Then, add the salami and artichoke hearts, and cook for another minute. Add the lemon juice and parsley (if using), cover, and remove from heat.
4. Scoop some pasta on your plate, top it with the asparagus/artichoke sauce, and sprinkle with the vegan cheese.

This is a REALLY easy recipe to make, and I'm glad that it was easy for me to make it dairy-free and gluten-free. The only thing I would do differently next time is to cut back on the red pepper flakes. The original recipe called for 1/4 teaspoon, which you can totally do, but the meal was a little spicy.

My husband said he enjoyed it. I enjoyed it and had it for leftovers. And my preschooler wouldn't eat it. I tried to get some vegetables into her!

Comments