7 Ways to Have a Healthy Holiday Season

It's that time of the year: turkey, pumpkin pie, cookies. I'm not going to give you tips on how to eat less at holiday parties or tell you to pass up that second helping of mashed potatoes. Because, really, how is that living?

But there are some fun ways that you can get into the holiday spirit and get active so that you don't feel so bad about having eaten the rest of grandma's cookies as soon as you got home.



1. Hot Cocoa 5K
I've done a local one of these before, and it was really fun. There was an ugly sweater theme, so runners/walkers were encouraged to dress festive. At the end of the race, everybody got a cup of hot cocoa. Apparently, there won't be a local one near me this year, but I did find an Allstate Hot Chocolate 15K/5K with multiple locations across the U.S., including in St. Louis on November 24. 

2. Turkey Trot
Start a new Thanksgiving tradition and get your family ready for an afternoon full of eating by running a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. I've always wanted to do the Morris County Turkey Trot near me. This is the Trot's 13th year, and proceeds go to benefit the Interfaith Food Pantry and Literacy Volunteers of Morris County. So not only are you getting some exercise, but you're also giving back to the community.

3. Ugly Sweater Run
As you've probably guessed, I'm not one to run away from a good themed 5K. I tried to do an Ugly Sweater Run a few years ago, but it snowed on race day, so I had to miss out. I would love to do one again. 

4. Donut Run
I already did a Donut 5K last weekend, and it was so much fun (even in the rain). There's another local one coming up: Montclair Bread Co. 5K Doughnut Run. But if you didn't sign up when registration opened a few months ago, you might have to miss out on the apple cider, Stumptown Coffee, and Montclair Bread Co.'s donuts. A virtual run is available, but you might want to make a note about this one on your calendar for next year.



5. Pizza the Trail Run
So you run (or walk) and then get pizza! I've always wanted to do one of these, but now that I'm lactose-intolerant, getting a piece of pizza isn't that exciting to me. There's one in Farmingdale, New Jersey and Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey this year, and I know there has been one in New York in the past. So I'm sure finding one of these themed runs near you will be really easy.

6. Santa Run
What could be better than a bunch of people dressed as Santa Claus and running or walking together? I've never done one of these, and unfortunately, the only Santa run near me was cancelled, but maybe one of these years I'll do one.

7. Polar Bear Race
Not to be confused with the Polar Bear Plunge where people run into freezing water, a Polar Bear Race is just a race outside in the cold. There's one down the shore in Asbury Park that sort of coincides with its local Polar Bear Plunge, but minus the water. Could be a fun way to ring in the new year.

Now, does the term "5K" scare you? Yes, people will be running, but NO you do not have to. I'm a speed walker. I do NOT run. And having a fun theme for the race just makes the whole process of getting active that much more fun. Plus, I love collecting medals and race shirts. Hopefully, these ideas inspire you to find a local race and get active this holiday season. Maybe I'll see you on the racetrack!

Comments