Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark New Movie and Books

When I was a kid, I absolutely loved the scary stories in the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books. One of my favorites was about a family who took in a stray dog, only to discover that it wasn't a dog. And the one about the girl who had a spider plant eggs in her cheek, and then all the spiders came crawling out one day. So gross!

Have you seen the new movie based on these books directed by Andre Ovredal and produced by Guillermo del Toro? It hit theaters on August 9, and there is a consumer products line to support the release of the movie.


You can buy T-shirts, stationery, tote bags, and socks featuring spooky imagery from the movies. Insight Editions is publishing the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark: The Haunted Notebook of Sarah Bellows, which is a companion to the movie with pages of frightening stories, sketches, and color artwork. You'll also be able to find exclusive T-shirts with spooky designs at Hot Topic stores.


And if you want to read the original stories, HarperCollins is releasing a box set collection with new cover art from the movie. The set includes Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, and Scary Stories 3: More Stories to Chill Your Bones. (I didn't have the third one, so maybe I'll have to get this anthology!) All of the books feature stories by Alvin Schwartz and illustrations by Stephen Gammell.


Were you guys fans of the original books? I can't believe they were first published 35 years ago! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the movie, though I'm not sure I'll get out to theaters for it. If you've seen it, let me know what you thought! And what do you think of all these cool Scary Stories products?

Comments